Wednesday, May 27, 2015

I sat alone in the waiting room while my husband underwent a minor abdominal repair. Suddenly, his surgeon appeared at the door and asked if I would step into the conference room.  And I knew... something was horribly wrong. Surgeons don't give the post-op talk in private quarters... unless they think the family members will fall apart.  He somberly told me my husband of 37 years was full of cancer and he was certain the primary site was the pancreas. We both knew we were looking at a death sentence.  He feebly suggested we plan one last trip, maybe Hawaii; I felt my life spinning out of control. My best friend most likely would leave me. How would I make it?  How would I have the strength to tell him and our kids? How could I ever say goodbye? Even though all seemed to be crashing down around me, I knew from the very first, horrible moments that I stood on solid ground: Jesus!  My life secure, I would cling to the truth that my Sovereign God holds all things together, even in our greatest storms. He held me tightly those early hours and continues to do so almost 18 months later.  Oh, of course the ground has shaken beneath me time after time, but never once has He let my foot slip.  He is my strong Cornerstone, my firm foundation, the reason for my constant hope; my life is built on nothing less than Jesus' blood and righteousness.
Tonight, our youth leadership met to prepare for this week's lesson: Matthew 7 where Jesus teaches about the wise and foolish builders.  Our teacher referenced these treasured lyrics, ones we had gathered to sing at Rob's memorial service.
 On Christ the solid rock I stand
 All other ground is sinking sand
It is one thing to prepare and teach a lesson, but another to have lived it with victory. God willing, I will have the opportunity to share one of my hardest and greatest life lessons this Sunday...still standing!

 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock.  But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand.  The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”  Matthew 7:24-27 NIV

I'm overwhelmed that I have such a firm foundation on which to stand today and until I meet Jesus face to face. I don't deserve such secure footing; it's all grace for which I'm profoundly grateful.


No comments: