Monday, March 4, 2019

I’m not particularly good at lament, but I’m learning that it is a helpful spiritual discipline. Aubrey Sampson suggests all laments lead to the truest form of worship-the worship of God alone. “Not God and blessings, not God and benefits, but God for God’s sake. “ The Louder Song
On this cold March morning, my bones lament.  I can’t tell if it’s the fibromyalgia or sadness again settling in. Perhaps a cocktail of both. 
I wish my heart was frozen, unable to feel absence. I long to be held; my bones cry out for touch. 
How long, oh Lord?
Yesterday, I reached my hand out into the empty space next to me in the pew. I used to do so in the early months of grief and I almost felt the warmth of my mate’s grasp. Not yesterday...just air. 
How long, oh Lord?
I know You carry me until the hairs of my head turn white with age. I just can’t feel your Presence, only ache...deep ache. 
Yet, I trust.

No comments: