Sunday, September 10, 2017

I was on the verge of shutting down my little corner of the world here at Larksong. I'd moved far enough along in my grief of losing Rob that I thought there wasn't anything else to write.
Then Hurricane Harvey devastated the city of Houston. 
In the midst of this great loss, God has given me a new story. It's not one I would have chosen to tell.  Just a few hours after evacuating in waist-high water in the pitch black with a bag and computer raised over my head, a life-long friend asked me to tell my story of loss and restoration.  Any purpose of doing so alluded me until God whispered: Tell my story, make Me known throughout all of this. Make Me believable.
I doubt my writing will be pretty; my brain can hardly string a simple sentence together, but obedience is greater than grammar.
Fresh grief for Rob has rushed over me once again, just like this horrific release of flood waters.
I am "smack dab" at the beginning. As I sort through debris, I suddenly find a remembrance of him too contaminated to restore.  Discarding them makes me weep all over again, but then I'm reminded that nothing can erase the beautiful memories of our sweet life. And more importantly NOTHING can separate us from our great God's love for us.  Not swollen bayous, rising waters or even death of any kind.  
Nathan sang it so beautifully this morning...
I need Thee ever hour, most gracious Lord.
We need You every hour! You are the God of this city.
Chris Tomlin says it much better than I could ever.
You're the God of this city

You're the King of these people
You're the Lord of this nation
You are
You're the Light in this darkness

You're the Hope to the hopeless
You're the Peace to the restless
You are
There is no one like our God

There is no one like our God
For greater things have yet to come

And greater things are still to be done in this city
Greater thing have yet to come
And greater things are still to be done in this city



No comments: