Monday, April 6, 2015

...and the reproach of your widowhood you will remember no more. For your Maker is your husband, the LORD of hosts is his name. Isaiah 54:4-5 ESV
God, our Maker, becomes our Other Half,  a sweet devotional carved from Isaiah's words addressing captive Israel, widowed far away in Babylon.  I can see why the writer offers these verses to present-day widows, but Other Half just sits uncomfortably with me.  
Better described as My All, no divide, because Jesus fills. Other Half reminds me of Legos, plastic fitting snugly together and completed pie charts.  
Jesus, oh the Air I Breathe, finds his way into every needy air sac, every messy cell, when I invite Him.
When I invite Him...I must not forget that Jesus is a gentleman groom.  I'm a slow learner it seems; this "all" takes time for me to breathe in deeply. 
I wonder if this divine relationship is similar to our earthly marriages. We begin as two strong identities tethered, but at some point the divide blurs.  I began as nurse, artist, baby Christian (in that order,)but through miles of for better for worse, in sickness and health, I crept into Rob's DNA and he, mine. 
I want even more blur with Jesus...less of me, so more of Him. I need Him to become my DNA!
Jesus promises to fill, not fit...promises to invade, not just complete. 



No comments: