Monday, June 9, 2014

Rob had a bucket list. It was short and simple, nothing too complicated. 


Witness his oldest son's wedding
Relive childhood memories of Wyoming
Travel to Merry Ol' England
Attend Spring Training
Have a front row seat at each of his grandchildren's sporting events
Take each grandbaby to see Mickey Mouse
That was his; mine, although much more extensive and with the omission of inning after inning of baseball, shared some of the same adventures.
Early on in Rob's illness, hope of earthly healing and time running out, I adopted the beautiful lyrics written by Todd and Angie Smith and Christa Wells as my anthem for survival and my motivation for fulfilling some of his wishlist.
Through the coming years
I will carry you
All my life
And I will praise the One 
Who's chosen me to carry you

God works in beautiful ways!  Selah's song, I Will Carry You, and an elderly volunteer who I met in the very last minutes of Rob's stay at M.D. Anderson reinforced God's assignment for me to "carry" my beloved Rob to places only dreamed.    The frail widow told me with great conviction that I would carry Rob in my heart as I began to live again. Live and praise the One...He promised healing along the way.
 My daughter's family and I took on the list this past spring, starting with a day trip to Disneyland.  
"Baba" in front of the iconic Matterhorn
We carried Baba, Sam's name for her granddaddy, throughout the park, waiting in long lines and tackling as many rides as a 9 month old and an overly excited "Queen Elsa" could handle!

"Jilly Bean" waits for the parade with Baba
Queen Elsa leads the way


Baba sees  Cinderella's Castle with his little princesses

A fun day had by all
Was Rob smiling from above? We hope so! We laughed...and cried, stuffed ourselves with Mickey cookies and fairy tales...Oh and Mickey?
Mickey and Minnie say "hello" to the family
Yes, Baba's grandgirls got to see Mickey and his Minnie. Mission accomplished!
We brought the boys home "ears" so they can match their granddaddy on the next leg of the journey.



Choosing joy and praising my way through the list.

"A grand adventure is about to begin." - Winnie the Pooh





  

No comments: