Monday, December 17, 2012

In light of the tragic slaughter of children and educators in Newtown, Conn. last Friday, I must remind myself the following:

•    "When you go to war against your enemies and see horses and chariots and an army greater than yours, do not be afraid of them, because the Lord your God, who brought you up out of Egypt, will be with you" (Deut. 20:1).
•    "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me" (Psalm 23:4).
•    "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit" (Psalm 34:18).
•    "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.  When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.  For I am the Lord, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior" (Isa. 43:2-3).
•    "We do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin" (Hebrews 4:15).


•    "He is the Rock, his works are perfect, and all his ways are just.  A faithful God who does no wrong, upright and just is he" (Deut. 32:4).
•    "Was it not I, the Lord?  And there is no God apart from me, a righteous God and a Savior; there is none but me" (Isa. 45:21).
•    "For the word of the Lord is right and true; he is faithful in all he does. The Lord loves righteousness and justice; the earth is full of his unfailing love" (Psalm 33:4-5).
•    "The Lord reigns forever; he has established his throne for judgment.  He will judge the world in righteousness; he will govern the peoples with justice" (Psalm 9:7-8).
•    "For the Lord is righteous, he loves justice; upright men will see his face" (Psalm 11:7). 
•    "The Lord is righteous in all his ways and loving toward all he has made" (Psalm 145:17).. 
•    "Let not the wise man boast of his wisdom or the strong man boast of his strength or the rich man boast of his riches, but let him who boasts boast about this: that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord, who exercises kindness, justice and righteousness on earth, for in these I delight" (Jeremiah 9:23-24).


I make Max Lucado's prayer my prayer.

 "Oh, Lord Jesus, you entered the dark world of your day.  Won't you enter ours?  We are weary of bloodshed.  We, like the wise men, are looking for a star.  We, like the shepherds, are kneeling at a manger.  This Christmas, we ask you, heal us, help us, be born anew in us."

No comments: