“Because someday all you’re going to care about is telling Jesus stories.” Dallas Jenkins

Thursday, August 29, 2024

A long obedience


 I’ve been limping through life lately. I suppose that’s not totally out of the ordinary for a full-blooded empath. Cancer and chemo stinks; global hardships endured by friends leave me helpless. I’ve been on the brink of walking away from some important ministries. Hey, I’m 70 now; don’t I deserve to take it easy?   That might be my plan, but not God’s. 

Last Sunday, our youth minister threw down the gauntlet..Just obey, he preached. I was questioning whether I even had the knowledge and maturity to continue, but God said, “Just show up! Minister in your quirky way and I’ll use it. All I want is for you to plant seeds and I’ll water them.”

Last weekend, when I wanted to pull the covers up over my head, I planted real seeds for a hurting friend and me. My first wimpy thought was, “They’ll probably not grow.” Well, two days later…they sprouted! I put out sugar water and the hummingbirds showed up and more importantly, I said yes to two ministries…little steps of obedience turn into long obedience. I’m still limping, but with trust and expectation. 

No comments: