“Because someday all you’re going to care about is telling Jesus stories.” Dallas Jenkins

Tuesday, August 27, 2024

Trust in the One

My family’s first bomb dropped in our lap in June 2013, terminal pancreatic cancer, and then again early in 2024, stage 2 breast cancer caused by a broken BRCA2 gene. Later last spring, a third bomb landed;  another sibling receives the news: positive for BRCA2 mutation. Last week, we finally received confirmation that Rob carried this horrible mutation; that one ripped a piece of my heart. 

I have had a week to sit with it and this is what I have gleaned: I’ve stopped looking for guarantees in this earthly life unless they come from the Word of God. I am guaranteed that Almighty God will sustain me no matter what happens and I find my peace in just that.  I can ride that Truth into eternity. I have no assurances when it comes to cancer; none of us do. Micro-metastases can grow in spite of all the cancer-killing agents and God can prevent a weak gene from misbehaving. No one is handed a never-cancer pass; it will most likely visit every family in some form.  

I still hurt and feel great sadness,  but I trust God with the outcome. God is our only guarantee. 

No comments: