“Because someday all you’re going to care about is telling Jesus stories.” Dallas Jenkins

Friday, July 26, 2024

Withdrawal

 The withdrawal is real! Backstory: Facebook now wants me to give a photo identification to authentic my new account. The red flag? The message uses British English terms (i.e. driving licence.) Could it be associated with the Australian hacker? I can’t even investigate it, because I can’t reach a human at Meta! I can’t risk it, but it’s tempting; I’m addicted to connection. 

That’s not a truly bad thing; Scripture and even neuroscience tells us we were made for relationship. I just wonder if I’ve replaced real live connection with a phone screen. It is safer, more convenient, but probably not how God designed us. Social media is a lot like a virtual travel documentary or zoom class. One can learn a lot about the region or subject, it’s convenient, inexpensive and pajama pants are allowed, but where are the smells, the touch? No gentle breezes, smell of fresh pine, no hugs! Social media definitely has a place; I have friends who use it so wonderfully, encouraging others and bringing beauty to our broken world. Face to face is just a better connection for me and now a total necessity!

So I’m accepting the challenge of creative connection. Today, I’m making a surprise porch visit to drop off birthday goodies, I’m exploring a ESOL ministry, but most importantly, I’m trading in the scrolling for mindful listening for God’s voice. I’m not even sure what that will look like, but I’m excited about a deeper connection with Him.

I’d love to hear your thoughts.

“And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony.” Colossians3:14-ESV


No comments: