Wednesday, September 10, 2014

"Mrs. Moore, would you step in here, please?" And I knew...No one steps into a private conference room while awaiting news from your surgeon unless it's very, very bad.  I knew we were about to face something much bigger, much uglier than we could ever handle on our own.
"Your husband's abdomen is filled with cancer and my suspicion is a tumor originating from his pancreas.  I would take him home and plan a trip to Hawaii while you have the chance." And then he left, probably preparing himself to break the news to his groggy patient.
A simple hernia repair turned into a death sentence?
And the room began to spin out of control.
I wept. And then God whispered...no, it was more like He cheered.  Isaiah 41:10!  "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."    Promise after promise rose from the deep: "I will be with you, you will not drown, the flames will not consume you, I am about to do something new."
On the worst day of my life, God took over and unleashed years of hidden Scripture resting in my heart. 
He instructed: choose joy, a direct command from the Apostle Paul and I did.
God-breathed comfort carried me that day and for months to come. I could never have trusted those promises had I not been diligent in hearing them throughout the years.  Oh, how I cherish the Word that penetrates deep within and remains my alive and active rescuer on those very worst days.
Always hearing, always hiding...
The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God endures forever. Isaiah 40:8


No comments: